[Xastir] Terraserver problems with map registration

Tom Russo russo at bogodyn.org
Wed Nov 28 13:27:05 EST 2007

On Wed, Nov 28, 2007 at 09:19:18AM -0800, we recorded a bogon-computron collision of the <archer at eskimo.com> flavor, containing:
> On Wed, 28 Nov 2007, Tom Russo wrote:
>
> > Nope, not seeing that.  My current display is zoom 131 and looks fine.
> >  <http://www.swcp.com/~russo/imgs/work_snapshot.png>
> > Looks like it always has, everything lines up fine.
> >
> > Just curious:  did you by any chance change your window size anytime recently?
> > What's your window dimension?
>
> Yes.  I recently went to 1600x1200 for X11 at home and at work.
> The Xastir window size is a large portion of that on one of my
> virtual screens.

Nothin' but net...  That's the reason for what you're seeing.

Terraserver is puking on the request for such a large image, and instead of
refusing to return it, returning only a piece of it.  Whereupon Xastir
assumes it got everything it asked for and stretches the image received to fit
the region it is presumed to cover, making a horrific error.  The only reason
it is working at low zooms is that the images are small enough for terraserver
to honor the request.

I saw the same thing a year or so ago when I got a fancydoodle new monitor
(HP 2335) that could display 1920x1200 and tried to use xastir at full screen.
Ever since then I have had to stick to below 1280x1280 to keep it right.

Once upon a time I thought about making xastir download the worldfile
associated with the image it requests, which could fix the problem if done
right (because it would have the proper georeferencing information for the
image actually downloaded rather than making assumptions that the image
received was actually the image requested), but never got anywhere on it
(figuring out how they do their worldfile URLs took too long and I gave up).