[Xastir] Terraserver problems with map registration

Bob Donnell kd7nm at pugetsound.net
Wed Nov 28 14:01:04 EST 2007

I was discussing this with Curt on IM, and had the thought that once the
absolute limits are known, that the code performing terraserver requests
should evaluate the window size xastir's running in, then form a sub-scale
request appropriately and then upscale the returned image after the fact
Most of us with high resolution displays wouldn't often notice if the image
request was scaled to 50% then the returned image was scaled to 200%.  If
the window is more than 3 times the limit, do it to 1/3 and 3x scaling, etc.
So the idea is to downscale the requests to something terraserver will
reliably return all of, and then upscale it on the local PC.  I guess the
main idea is that by scaling our requests, we control how much complexity is
involved in rescaling the returned image.  So integer amounts and even
percentages, like 40%, 50%, 75%, 80%, etc. reduces a lot of the scaling
tasks to simple integer math.

Besides, anyone running that big a screen must have cycles to burn <grin>

It also occurs to me that this might be a file size limit, vs. a pixel count
limit, so the returned image size may be related to that - though from their
end, it'd be a lot easier to code a pixel count limit.  If file size was the
limit, then the file size could vary due to compression factors and how much
detail is present.

73, Bob, KD7NM