[Xastir] Feature idea for Xastir

Jason Winningham jdw at eng.uah.edu
Fri Oct 5 09:48:19 EDT 2007

On Oct 5, 2007, at 8:12 AM, William McKeehan wrote:

> Have a look at these:

OK, I've looked and now I'll comment. (:

> http://www.gpsdrive.de/

look at the screen shots and "wow!".  Then look at the documentation:
raster maps only.  These maps came from somewhere else.  No routing.
bleh.  The only interesting thing here is GTK use for cross-platform
support.  next!

> http://roadnav.sourceforge.net/

Ah, this is more like it.  At a glance: maps - so what? looks a lot
like xastir (maybe they do a bit better job rendering labels).  Keep
looking: vector maps, rendered by the app, included routing, vector
maps based on TIGER data.  Offline maps! Cross platform!   Cross
platform support based on wxWidgets, could be something interesting
for our xastir developers to look at/borrow for xastir v2.

I'm downloading this one to my mac right now, will probably try it
out on my trip this weekend.  Thanks for the pointer!

> http://roadmap.digitalomaha.net/

This one doesn't grab me - first thing I noticed is that there isn't
a single street label on any screenshot.  Appears to target some
linux distro that's unfamiliar to me (in spite of being named
Familiar linux. :)

-Jason
kg4wsv