[Xastir] Feature idea for Xastir

Lee Bengston lee.bengston at gmail.com
Fri Oct 5 23:47:34 EDT 2007

On 10/5/07, Jason Winningham <jdw at eng.uah.edu> wrote:

> On Oct 5, 2007, at 8:48 AM, I wrote:
>
> >> http://roadnav.sourceforge.net/
> >
> > Ah, this is more like it.  At a glance: maps - so what? looks a lot
> > like xastir (maybe they do a bit better job rendering labels).
> > Keep looking: vector maps, rendered by the app, included routing,
> > vector maps based on TIGER data.
>

> Looks good, but I couldn't get enough data downloaded/converted to
> try anything interested - got tired of it continuously bombing on the
> mac.  Oh well, another one bites the dust.

I wasn't able to get the roadnav deb package to install in andLinux, but I
was able to compile it from source after installing wxwidgets from the
ubuntu respository.  Not a bad program - with the Tiger maps, they are
labeling the highways better, and I like they way they display the minor
streets at high zoom levels.

However, it's the same old TigerMap problem at intermediate zoom levels -
either no street labels at all or labels in a very tiny hard to read font
depending on the exact zoom.  The same view in Google, Mapquest, etc. shows
the street names clearly.  I don't care about looking really slick like
Google does, but street labels that I can read are important.

But the above is in the context of XASTIR and seeing APRS stations in
certain views.  Using Roadnav on a trip should be fine - can zoom in or out
as needed - only need to track one vehicle.  Overall I would say it's a
pretty nice package.

Lee-K5DAT
Murphy, TX