[Xastir] Feature idea for Xastir

Gerry Creager gerry.creager at tamu.edu
Fri Oct 5 23:53:12 EDT 2007

Google and Mapquest get their basemaps, if memory serves, from Navtech.
  No one seriously uses Tiger anymore for "real" applications.  After
USGS migrated to SDTS format Tiger was the only decent alternative, for
some low value of decent.  It was based on the original USGS maps,
regardless of what Census told you.  However, Census munges them for
their purposes (census work, interestingly enough) and effectively
renders them less than adequate for "real" mapping.

In other words, "These maps should come with a consumer product safety
warning."

gerry