[Xastir] Question about APRS GPS position precision

Richard Polivka, N6NKO r.polivka at sbcglobal.net
Sun Oct 7 13:02:58 EDT 2007

Jim,

Most GPS units are good to 4 decimals. Any higher precision requires
post-processing or L1/L2 reception (not avail in consumer equipment).
When you factor in multipath and all the other variables, 4 decimals is
quite good but it takes time and patience - think searching for a
geocache in a forest. Plus, at four decimals, on a patch antenna minus
ground plane, it is quite unstable.

Plus, I have a feeling that when Bob B. designed APRS, he was not
looking at this being used for what we are doing.

Until the data output is smoother and better accuracy, five decimals in
- broadcast 4 - rewrite the standard, this may be the best for now.

73 from 807,

Richard, N6NKO