[Xastir] Question about APRS GPS position precision

Jim Tolbert RiverRidge at CenturyTel.net
Sun Oct 7 12:25:00 EDT 2007

Hi, all..........

I have been told that the limiting factor in position precision is the
APRS system transmission standard-- that transmissions are limited to
1/1000th of a degree or approximately +/- 60 feet.   Is this true?  If
so, why?

If not, what is the limiting element in the final display of tracker
position on Xastir?

For those of you using Xastir for Search & Rescue, do you run on the
APRS frequency or a different (quiet) frequency?   What are the
arguments for each school of thought?   We are going to be running some
field tests in the near future with a variety of equipment setups....
does anyone have suggestions of things we should test?  We have a list,
but new ideas and comments would be appreciated from those that have
already taken the stumbles<grin>.

Many thanx.............. jt

--
Jim Tolbert