[Xastir] Feature idea for Xastir

Gerry Creager gerry.creager at tamu.edu
Tue Oct 9 15:42:08 EDT 2007

Brad Douglas wrote:
> On Tue, 2007-10-09 at 14:03 -0500, Gerry Creager wrote:
>> Brad Douglas wrote:

>>> Are you suggesting that everyone have a working http server on their
>>> local machine?  That is quite an excessive (and generally insecure)
>>> method of accomplishing the given goal, locally.
>> I don't seem to have too much in the way of security problems with web
>> servers on darned near everything we stand up, either apache or tomcat.
>>   We also run some stand-alone systems.  I do tend to look for
>> excessive, unsuccessful login attempts and automatically block them, and
>> my iptables rules are pretty tight, but standing up a basic web server
>> and securing it isn't a big deal.  Or, am I demonstrating, again, how
>> warped I've become?
>
> I prefer to not require that users be as security minded as we are.
> It's a problem waiting to happen, not to mention the fact that users
> will be required to install and properly setup a web server and the
> necessary extensions (mapserver/FDO?) in the first place.
>
> Even I have trouble getting FDO to install properly (damn you,
> Autodesk! ;-).

I gave up on AutoDesk.  I run the "normal" Mapserver code.  The compile
and dependencies are tricky but we could standardize on a release and
config and roll out a new one periodically.  Or not.

> [snip]

>>> IMO, wxPython is the way to go for GUI development.
>> IMNSHO, either will do.  I write more javascript these days than python,
>> as someone else has become the python guru around here.
>
> Again, similar to Java, JS is write once; test everywhere; rewrite;
> test; rewrite; test...  Not all JS behaves equally in all browsers. :-(

Used to think that, then I started testing for IE and just giving them
an error page (Your browser doesn't support real web interaction.
Please upgrade to Opera or Firefox.) and my life got better.  Carefully
crafted JS is usable.  I suspect carefully crafted Python is, too.
Given a choice I'd still write ALL my code in Fortran...

> Python is surprisingly easy to learn and does not suffer to licensing
> and flame wars others are subjected to.  I've made my case so I'll shut
> up, now.  YMMV.

I work in Fortran for most of my coding these days.  Yes, Fortran.
That's what weather models are generally written in.  I wrote my
geodetic processing code, and modified someone else's, in Fortran, too.
  I suspect that, when I really have to, I'll go learn Python.  I know
there's not a good graphics development object in f90 or f95 I can use.  :-(

gerry
Gerry Creager -- gerry.creager at tamu.edu
Cell: 979.229.5301 Office: 979.862.3982 FAX: 979.862.3983