[Xastir] Compile issues

Curt, WE7U archer at eskimo.com
Thu Oct 4 16:27:40 EDT 2007

On Sun, 30 Sep 2007, Tony Hunt wrote:

> Now I will tell you how I got 1.90 going.. Dont cringe too much but I loaded
> a binary for 1.40 xastir that was premade for this old distro. and then
> compiled 1.90 on top of that. Although they have different directory
> structures I deleted the 1.40 xastir binary executable and I seem to have a
> working 1.90. Pretty rough I know and very cludgey but obviuosly something
> is in the 1.40 binary which fixes the segfaults I had .. Its not the
> ultimate and in time I can likely pull apart the 1.40 binary and see just
> whats in there. It proves something I guess..

More than likely you've now got two sets of files installed in
different places on your hard drive, and your config files in
~/.xastir/ directory are pointing to the old locations.  That's why
installing the 1.4.0 version got you going.

Better would be to delete or rename your ~/.xastir directory, get
rid of the installed files for Xastir in your /usr directory (except
for your maps), and re-install just 1.9.0.  When Xastir starts up it
will recreate your ~/.xastir directory and config files, then with
just a bit of configuration inside Xastir you should be running
again.

If you want to convert your config files instead, there are two
scripts in the xastir/scripts/ directory that must be run, one as
the user and one as "root".

I can't recall now where the old directories were, but can tell you
where the current stuff gets installed.