[Xastir] Severe WX polygons?

Tom Russo russo at bogodyn.org
Sun Oct 14 12:08:04 EDT 2007

On Sun, Oct 14, 2007 at 11:22:57AM -0400, we recorded a bogon-computron collision of the <rtg at aapsc.com> flavor, containing:
> > From time to time, I see yellow polygons showing up on my xastir display.
>  These seem to happen during times of unstable weather, and they tend to have
>  the SW-NE general orientation of most of the storm alerts in this
>  neighborhood.
>    They seem like chicken little crying out, telling me to be very afraid,
>  without telling me why.  I try to select 'station info' for every station
>  within the polygon, but nowhere can I find out who is doing the crying, and
>  a link to the underlying NWS report that prompted the alert.
>
>  Can someone tell me how I can 'drill down' and get more information about
>  these polygons, or failing that, suppress their display altogether?

These are probably multiline weather objects sent out by the NWS.  You need to
find the object that's associated with the polygon and get its station
information.  There will be a "Fetch NWS alert" button on its station info
page.  The objects usually have a name that is six characters long and begins
with your local NWS office abbreviation.  In my area, that'd be ABQ or MAF.
You might be able to locate it in your Objects and Items list more easily than
on the map if your area has a lot of APRS activity.

To suppress them, you'd have to turn off Wx object display in the
Station->Filter Data menu.