[Xastir] Window version

Fred Hillhouse fmhillhouse at comcast.net
Mon Oct 29 16:28:27 EDT 2007

> On Mon, 29 Oct 2007, Fred Hillhouse wrote:
>
> > When the entire map is loaded, is it local from that point forward?
>
> Yes and no.
>
> Xastir can do caching, but it depends on your window size and
> you zoom level, and how you pan around.
>
> If you stick to zooming with the pgup/pgdown keys and panning
> around with the arrow keys, then you can use some locally
> cached maps of each view.
>
> If you zoom/pan with the mouse, then you'll quickly go to
> zooms or areas where you don't have cached maps that match.
> Same for if you change you window size.
>
> Depending on what you're after, you don't have to depend on
> internet-based maps though.  Xastir has a wide range of map
> types that it can use directly.  You can load them to your
> local hard drive.

I guess I am not sure what I am after mainly because I have been using only
USGS topographical maps to date (paper and Terraserver). But I have found
the aerial view to be kinda nice too. Street maps have little interest for
me but is certainly a plus and may prove to be more useful over time.

When I am mobile I don't have access the internet unless I connect via my
mobile phone. However, that option is too expensive, and usually there is no
cellular signal when it really counts.

I have almost no experience using other maps from a software perspective.

Thanks!

Fred