[Xastir] Window version

Curt, WE7U archer at eskimo.com
Mon Oct 29 16:36:14 EDT 2007

On Mon, 29 Oct 2007, Fred Hillhouse wrote:

> I guess I am not sure what I am after mainly because I have been using only
> USGS topographical maps to date (paper and Terraserver). But I have found
> the aerial view to be kinda nice too. Street maps have little interest for
> me but is certainly a plus and may prove to be more useful over time.

You're in luck...  Xastir can handle the USGS DRG geoTIFF files,
crop off the white border, stretch the UTM projection to make them
more nearly fit a rectangle, then tile them together seamlessly.  On
the fly.

I have all of the USGS DRG CD's for WA, and part of OR.  A few for
ID/MT/HI.

If you have access to the DRG map files, Xastir will work well for
you.  Some libraries have these CD's available and they're ok to
copy per the USGS.

I'm in SAR here in WA and have one touch-screen truck-mount Linux PC
set up with topos and street maps for the entire county.  Works
well when I use it.