[Xastir] using a USB-to-serial adapter (fwd)

Jason Winningham jdw at eng.uah.edu
Sun Sep 16 09:14:50 EDT 2007

On Sep 12, 2007, at 4:03 PM, Curt, WE7U wrote:

> they use the FDTI chipset which is well supported in many
> OS'es including Linux.

I haven't used the devices from Parallax, but I have settled on FTDI
as my favorite USB/232 chipset.  I have several of these in various
forms and they do work well with windows, Mac os X, and linux (can't
remember if I've tried them with Solaris, but FTDI doesn't supply
Solaris drivers).

I suspect (but don't know) that the Parallax device has a DB9 male
connector, as that's the standard.

I have used this one from BG Micro.  It has a 6' cable, which could
be good or bad depending on your needs.  $15:

http://www.bgmicro.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=10405

If you need TTL level interface (roll your own USB interface for a
TNC-X or something along those lines), SparkFun.com has breakout
boards with a USB jack and through-holes for the TTL levels signals.
They're not really cheap at $15, but you don't have to solder an SMT
device.  The Ic is also available for $5 or so, and it requires
minimal external components (not even a clock source).

There are also versions that include 4 serial ports on a single cable
- either a box or an octopus type arrangement.  I haven't bought one
of these yet, but plan to do so within the next few weeks.

-Jason
kg4wsv