[Xastir] Slashgeo | TIGER Data Finally Out SHP Format

Tom Hayward esarfl at gmail.com
Wed Apr 2 21:14:55 EDT 2008

I decided to learn dbfawk using the trial by fire method. I spent
today working on a dbfawk file for these new Tiger Shapefiles. I
started with tgr2shp.dbfawk, but had to modify almost everything.
Here's what I came up with: http://tomh.us/tgrshplines.dbfawk

Here's a screen shot of it in use: http://tomh.us/snapshot.png

I only worked on the All Lines (by county) package, and didn't mess
with labels and polygons, but it displays roads and water decently.

This documentation was very useful:
Tiger Shapefile documentation: http://www.census.gov/geo/www/tiger/tgrshprl.pdf
CFCC => MTFCC conversion:
http://www.census.gov/geo/www/luca2010/luca_luca_br.txt
And of course: http://www.xastir.org/wiki/index.php/HowTo:DBFAWK

I hope this is beneficial to the group. I'm still learning dbfawk, so
let me know if you have any suggestions for improvement.

Tom KD7LXL