[Xastir] State EMA conference - Wyoming

kc7zru at kc7zru.net kc7zru at kc7zru.net
Thu Apr 3 13:45:29 EDT 2008

Thurs, Fri and Saturday.

County gave us a table to 'show off the club'. What do we have here?

3 PCs running Xastir (1 desktop, 2 Laptops all talking to my aprsd server
at the house). 3 different views, a couple objects moving around, weather,
etc.
Yup - that's it. Nothing else on the table.

Using calls of W7VNJ, KC7ZRU-7 and -14 - only W7VNJ is accepting
messaging. Bulletins turned off for now.

We've got EMA folks from all over the state here. They're looking - hard.
Liking the various maps, zoom levels and loving it when I tell 'em "This
is real-time, current information". Special the weather and traffic info.
We've been having 'issues' with keeping the I-states open recently. I'm
having a blast asking them what they'd pay for this kind of ability in
their own EOCs. I've heard everything form $50 to $11K.

Tomorrow I've a hook up with the guys from the NOAA office in Riverton. I
hope to get an Xastir install full time down there.

Several have been quite surprised when I say they have folks in their own
communities that can run APRS now - the infrastructure is there - just
talk to your local guys, they'll get it all running "for free".

Xastir is shining bright in Casper, WY!!

Thanks for making Xastir what it is - it's good

73