[Xastir] Map Directory

Curt, WE7U archer at eskimo.com
Tue Apr 8 11:38:49 EDT 2008

On Sat, 29 Mar 2008, Tate wrote:

> Welcome to Linux and file permissions.
>
> System wide executables and their files are normally not accessible for
> writing by normal users.
>
> You'll need to have 'root' permission to write those files. Use the 'sudo'
> command.

Another option is to make that directory and all subdirectories
owned by the user.

    cd /usr/local/share/xastir
    su
    chown -R archer:users maps (change "archer" to your username)
    chmod -R 755 maps
    exit    # (from root user)

Yet another method is to move all of the maps directory and contents
somewhere else, like in /home/<user>/maps/ or similar, then make
/usr/local/share/xastir/maps into a symbolic link (symlink) which
points to where the maps really are.

    cd /usr/local/share/xastir
    su
    ln -s /home/archer/maps
    exit    # (from root user)

If you have more than one Xastir user on the system, make sure that
the maps are readable by all, and not just the user who owns the
files.  The "chmod -R 755" command will recursively change the
permissions:  Be careful what directory you're in when you run it!

--
Curt, WE7U.				archer at eskimo dot com
http://www.eskimo.com/~archer