[Xastir] Findu Trail

Curt, WE7U archer at eskimo.com
Tue Apr 8 12:05:18 EDT 2008

On Sat, 29 Mar 2008, Keith Kaiser wrote:

> I have Xastir 1.9.2 loaded and running well on my MacBook Pro now thanks to
> several of you and your tips to getting the KeySpan working. But there are
> still a couple of outstanding issues I would like to throw out for discussion.
> The first is when I'm trying to retrieve a FindU trail, it always comes back
> "Failed". I've used it on other versions with no problem and 'yes' I have an
> internet connection ...etc.
> The second issue is with my maps, not even the default maps that come with
> Xastir in the Online folder show up when I try to configure there use. They
> just do not show in the list.

They may both be related to your OS not having the proper internet
access, or DNS not being set up properly on the machine.

Try something like:  "ping ucsd.edu" to see if you get a response
back.  Control-C will kill it.

If the above works, it looks like you have IP connectivity and DNS
set up.  Next is to check that you have libcurl and libcurl-devel
installed, or wget installed.  If you have both, Xastir will prefer
libcurl.

If these are installed and Xastir has been configured to use them,
it's possible that you have a non-working libcurl or a non-working
wget.  Check the messages that Xastir puts out to the Xterm you
started it from, as you try to fetch and online map.

I've had instances where I've had to update or revert wget because
of a non-working package on Linux.

Lastly:  There's been a change on findu.com that makes the fetch
tracks function not work.  I'll try to get on that and fix it soon.
I need to talk to Steve Dimse and figure out what changes are
acceptable.  He sent me an e-mail about it while I was on vacation
last week.

--
Curt, WE7U.				archer at eskimo dot com
http://www.eskimo.com/~archer