[Xastir] A rant on the shapefiles...

Richard Polivka, N6NKO r.polivka at sbcglobal.net
Wed Apr 9 11:14:35 EDT 2008

I have to thank the authors/contributors to Quantum GIS. This program is
proving to be quite useful in editing the TIGER 2007 FE shapefiles.
There is soooo much missing from Milwaukee county, it is unbelievable. I
am just using it on my laptop but I can see where BigBox with its three
eyes can be an asset to this.

I am wondering who participated in getting these maps made? Was it
state, county, feds? It really does not matter, I am laid up with a flu
bug so I have been playing to keep from going wacky. I am not one who
likes being ill but the legs just don't want to cooperate too long walking.

Mr. Creager - I realize that you have offered to be a repository of the
shapefiles. How about making a subdirectory "contributed" where we, as a
group, can put in updated shapefiles as they are cleaned up, augmented,
whatever? The feds have supplied the basics, now we have an opportunity
to make the products USEFUL.

73 from 807,

Richard, N6NKO

P.S.: Dreaming of qty 4 of 21" 1280x1024 flatpanel monitors on BigBox....