[Xastir] version interactions?

Curt, WE7U archer at eskimo.com
Fri Apr 11 11:05:36 EDT 2008

On Fri, 11 Apr 2008, Craig Anderson wrote:

> The problem is that the MacBook has stopped
> getting any data from the iMac over the server ports.
> The iMac works fine, gets all the data from the radio
> and displays it nicely.  The MacBook get no data
> and it's connection to the iMac keeps dropping.
> It's set to automagically re-connect, and it does,
> after it's missed all the data.  I think it gets knocked
> off the server port every time data is sent, but I
> don't know why because there are no error
> messages.  It may be dropping a lot more often
> than coinciding with data transfers.

The advise to telnet to the port is good.  Let us know how that
works.  There may have been updates to your operating system on
either box that might have made your networking flaky.

As I recall the server port code hasn't been touched in any
significant way in quite some time, so the 1.8.x versions should be
nearly identical to the latest version in that respect.

> All this was working fine when I had the iMac
> running the stock Debian Xastir package of
> version 1.8.2.  But that didn't have many options
> compiled in, so I upgraded to version 1.9.2.
> It also worked fine with the iMac running the
> new Xastir 1.9.2 until I changed the IP address
> of the iMac from a DHCP address to a static one.
> I've re-booted the iMac, re-configured and
> restarted Xastir on the MacBook all to no avail.

Is it possible that dhcp is still running even though have a static
address on the box now, and trying to change your address
periodically?  Any other process running on the box that might be
messing with your networking?  Particularly something that might
have the capability of stopping/restarting your networking?  Any
wireless stuff?

--
Curt, WE7U.				archer at eskimo dot com
http://www.eskimo.com/~archer