[Xastir] D700 Connection

Curt, WE7U archer at eskimo.com
Fri Apr 11 12:05:31 EDT 2008

On Fri, 11 Apr 2008, Keith Kaiser wrote:

> Sorry about the RTF I had meant to convert it to plain text and I forgot. I'm
> a Mac guy, will dabble in Unix and do my best to stay away from Windblows as
> much as possible, so I understand your comment.

Which means _you're_ a Unix guy now too...   :-)

> I'll find some kind of dumb terminal program to work with and see what I
> learn, but I've had this unit working many times for many years so the
> connections to the D700 are correct.

Minicom is what I usually use.

> The problems only started when I installed the new version of Xastir, I've
> even had it working with the MacBook Pro I'm using before so cabling isn't the
> issue. I used to install Xastir in /sw/share/ this is the first time I let it
> default to /usr/local/ so my head tells me its a permissions problem. But I
> really don't know where to start finding the problem, I'll try the dumb
> terminal route and see what I learn.

If you're running the same config directory and files for Xastir as
you were when you ran Xastir from /sw/share/, then I'd try this:

    Kill all running Xastir sessions
    cd
    mv .xastir .xastir.old
    Start up Xastir

Xastir will create a new config directory and config file, so you'll
be starting from scratch just like you're running it for the first
time.  Use the old config files as hints as you're filling in the
boxes again.

Some of your paths to various things can be messed up in your config
file, pointing to the old install location for Xastir.

--
Curt, WE7U.				archer at eskimo dot com
http://www.eskimo.com/~archer