[Xastir] hung up on maptools script

Curt, WE7U archer at eskimo.com
Fri Apr 18 11:14:07 EDT 2008

On Fri, 18 Apr 2008, Robert Rogers wrote:

> Hello all:
>
> Got this error running the
>
> ./get-maptools.sh
>

> ./get-maptools.sh: line 285: syntax error near unexpected token `('
> ./get-maptools.sh: line 285: `#  /usr/bin/ld: makegeo: hidden symbol
> `__stack_chk_fail_local' in
> /usr/lib/libc_nonshared.a(stack_chk_fail_local.oS) is referenced by DSO'
>
> I did uncomment the lines in the wiki and got the same error....

Something looks strange with the above...  The errors you quote
above appear to be caused by uncommenting too many of the lines.

You only want to uncomment the stuff below the "#-----uncomment
below-------" line.  Everything above that line should remain
commented.

That section should look something like this after you uncomment the
proper lines:

-----------------------------
        make lib
#WARNING WARNING WARNING
# On any system that uses GCC 4.x as its compiler, it is probably necessary
# to uncomment the stuff between here and the next "else".  If you see
# an error message of the form
#  /usr/bin/ld: makegeo: hidden symbol `__stack_chk_fail_local' in /usr/lib/libc_nonshared.a(stack_chk_fail_local.oS) is referenced by DSO
#  /usr/bin/ld: final link failed: Nonrepresentable section on output
#  collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
# when libgeotiff's makefile gets to linking "makegeo", this is your
# problem.  Uncomment these lines and rerun the script.
#----uncomment below--------
       elif [ $XA_LIB = 'libgeotiff-1.2.3' ]
       then
          #The libgeotiff tar ball has last modification time of
          the configure
          # script and the configure.in from which it's generated
          such that
          # as soon as we type "make", the Makefile tries to
          regenerate
          # configure and then run it with no arguments,
          interfering with
          # our intentions here.  So we "touch" configure so it's
          newer
          # than configure.in, and make leaves them alone.  The
          right
          # fix would be to change that makefile, but this is
          easier
          touch configure
          # libgeotiff tries to use ld -shared for linking shared
          library,
          # which is wrong on linux with GCC 4.x
          ./configure --with-ld-shared="gcc -shared"
          make
    else
        ./configure
        make