[Xastir] torrents and xastir

Jason KG4WSV kg4wsv at gmail.com
Fri Aug 1 08:51:14 EDT 2008

I'm not terribly familiar with bit torrent, so forgive me if these are
novice questions, but I'm trying to understand if and how we (xastir
and APRS users) can benefit from the distribution system in the
sharing of our sometimes large chunks of data, like maps and VM
images.

The basic premise/assumption is that many people will want to download
and many of those will make the data once they have downloaded, right?
 If no one peering, there is nothing to download?  I guess it degrades
to a traditional master-client download if there's only 1 "peer".

I'm trying to figure out if it's worth the effort, given our
relatively small numbers, to make things like VM images, TIGER
shapefiles, DRGs, DOQQs, etc available via bit torrent.

--
-Jason
kg4wsv