[Xastir] torrents and xastir

Gerry Creager gerry.creager at tamu.edu
Fri Aug 1 10:07:47 EDT 2008

<opinion>P2P excels when there's a lot of consumers, and you start with
one server.  If, however, each subscribers becomes a server (publisher)
upon receipt, per-server bandwidth limitations, and system load, are
mitigated.

For some small value of convenience, too, a user can start a Torrent
stream and come back to a whole file.  When you're talking movies or
songs... or TIGER datasets, this can be useful.

We have some folks who don't have a lot of bandwidth, so a Torrent might
be useful to them to retrieve stuff, but that's speculation.  Overall,
repositories in the conventional sense might be better/easier to maintain.
</opinion>

Gerry Creager -- gerry.creager at tamu.edu
Cell: 979.229.5301 Office: 979.862.3982 FAX: 979.862.3983