[Xastir] torrents and xastir

Curt, WE7U archer at eskimo.com
Fri Aug 1 12:50:03 EDT 2008

On Fri, 1 Aug 2008, Tom Hayward wrote:

> you must
> first upload the torrent to the tracker. To do this, use the
> username "blah" and the password "blah-blah".

You posted that to a public mailing list with archives.  You may
need to change that password at some point.

> Standard procedure is to create one .torrent per set. The reasoning
> behind this is that the downloader can instruct their client which of
> the files to download (with a multi-file torrent, there is nothing
> stopping you from only downloading a few of the files).
>
> With a data set as huge as "USGS topos", this might not be reasonable.
> Are the maps segmented geographically? I would suggest one torrent per
> state, each with geographically labeled directories (by county?) so
> users could identify what they needed to download.

They are distributed as a one or two-CD set, which is a 1-degree by
1-degree rectangle, containing all of the 1:24k, 1:100k, and 1:250k
maps that cover that area, plus sometimes some other maps.  There
are also smaller files that go with the maps, plus other stuff on
the disk that we really don't need to distribute.  The stuff of
interest is in the DATA and METADATA directories of the CD's.

One more thing:  If someone were to come up with an auto-torrent
kind of thing for this, would we want to back up the scripts and the
torrents to another server or two as well?  That way one array going
bad or site being temporarily unavailable doesn't mean the maps are
unavailable.  I don't know how that might play in the torrent scheme
though:  It might not be workable.

--
Curt, WE7U.				archer at eskimo dot com
http://www.eskimo.com/~archer