[Xastir] torrents and xastir

Curt, WE7U archer at eskimo.com
Fri Aug 1 12:59:56 EDT 2008

On Fri, 1 Aug 2008, Tom Hayward wrote:

> Standard procedure is to create one .torrent per set. The reasoning
> behind this is that the downloader can instruct their client which of
> the files to download (with a multi-file torrent, there is nothing
> stopping you from only downloading a few of the files).
>
> With a data set as huge as "USGS topos", this might not be reasonable.
> Are the maps segmented geographically? I would suggest one torrent per
> state, each with geographically labeled directories (by county?) so
> users could identify what they needed to download.

There would be people out there with just a few of the CD's that
would like to contribute.  If we do it by state, as we're collecting
that state and growing the collection on the server the torrent
would change, making the distributed model less effective, right?

If we did it in 1-degree by 1-degree sections the way that the USGS
distributes them, this whole scheme would be much more workable.  We
might be able to get some of the DRG collection groups to contribute
data too 'cuz they'd be benefitting from ours.

My druthers are to collect just the DATA and the METADATA
directories from the CD's/DVD's.  The rest of the stuff on there is
a small amount of docs and several very old software packages for
viewing the geoTIFF files.  We should distribute only the map data.

--
Curt, WE7U.				archer at eskimo dot com
http://www.eskimo.com/~archer