[Xastir] torrents and xastir

Curt, WE7U archer at eskimo.com
Fri Aug 1 13:09:09 EDT 2008

On Fri, 1 Aug 2008, Curt, WE7U wrote:

> There would be people out there with just a few of the CD's that
> would like to contribute.  If we do it by state, as we're collecting
> that state and growing the collection on the server the torrent
> would change, making the distributed model less effective, right?
>
> If we did it in 1-degree by 1-degree sections the way that the USGS
> distributes them, this whole scheme would be much more workable.  We
> might be able to get some of the DRG collection groups to contribute
> data too 'cuz they'd be benefitting from ours.
>
> My druthers are to collect just the DATA and the METADATA
> directories from the CD's/DVD's.  The rest of the stuff on there is
> a small amount of docs and several very old software packages for
> viewing the geoTIFF files.  We should distribute only the map data.

Oh yea, I know what else has been nagging at me but I keep
forgetting to ask:  I saw in the docs that we can name a file or a
directory when creating the torrent...  Can we do an entire tree of
directories?

Also:  If Gerry or someone were to make scripts to create the
torrents automatically, which would be very cool, -and- if torrents
can handle trees of files, there's no reason we couldn't have a set
of torrents by state and another set of torrents by 1x1-degree
slice.  The state torrents would change as the dataset grew, but the
1x1-degree torrents would remain the same.

--
Curt, WE7U.				archer at eskimo dot com
http://www.eskimo.com/~archer