[Xastir] torrents and xastir

Tom Hayward tom at tomh.us
Fri Aug 1 13:30:17 EDT 2008

> You posted that to a public mailing list with archives.  You may
> need to change that password at some point.

I understand. That is why rather than naming the password I gave a
hint. However foolishly, I'm banking on the stupidity of pirates. If
there is a problem, it will be trivial to delete and change the
password.

>> There would be people out there with just a few of the CD's that
>> would like to contribute.  If we do it by state, as we're collecting
>> that state and growing the collection on the server the torrent
>> would change, making the distributed model less effective, right?

We don't want to change a torrent. This ruins the model, because those
who have the data can't continue to seed if the torrent changes
without redownloading.

>> If we did it in 1-degree by 1-degree sections the way that the USGS
>> distributes them, this whole scheme would be much more workable.  We
>> might be able to get some of the DRG collection groups to contribute
>> data too 'cuz they'd be benefitting from ours.

Great, lets distribute by 1-degree by 1-degree sections then. On the
Wiki, we can just have a heading for each State and list the multiple
torrents that pertain to that state. That should make it simple enough
to manage and choose downloads.

> Can we do an entire tree of
> directories?

Yes. Yes, this is very useful.

> The state torrents would change as the dataset grew, but the
> 1x1-degree torrents would remain the same.

Yuck, no, don't change torrents.

> What's a good headless client for such purposes, one that can be
> used for multiple torrents?  Something that wouldn't take hours and
> hours to set up.

On northwest.aprs2.net I use rtorrent with screen. I'm very happy with
this. The keyboard controls are daunting at first, but after reading
the user guide (took about 10 min) I realized they are all very
intuitive, so I haven't had to reference the guide again.

> On Fri, 1 Aug 2008, Curt, WE7U wrote:

Quit with the replies or I'll never finished this message!

Tom KD7LXL