[Xastir] torrents and xastir

Tom Russo russo at bogodyn.org
Fri Aug 1 14:21:31 EDT 2008

On Fri, Aug 01, 2008 at 11:12:41AM -0700, we recorded a bogon-computron collision of the <archer at eskimo.com> flavor, containing:
> On Fri, 1 Aug 2008, Tom Russo wrote:
>
> > Not that it matters much, but USGS dropped the 1-degree by 1-degree
> > distribution method years ago.  Doesn't mean that it's a bad way to go,
> > but it *isn't* the way USGS does it.
> >
> > Their "data partners" tend to do it by state now.
>
> Rgr.
>
> Are there additional restrictions now on the map data since it's
> being distributed by someone other than the USGS?  U.S. Taxpayers
> paid for it once, just wondering how many times we'll again pay for
> it.

I'm not aware of any new restrictions.

In fact, I found that buying state-wide "data bundles" from GeoCommunities
(one of the USGS "data partners") was significantly cheaper than it used to
be for a state's worth of DRGs direct from USGS (where they were $1.00 each
plus a $30 set-up fee for the order once they stopped distributing the 1-by-1
degree bundles).

 "Argue for your limitations and sure enough, they're yours."  -- R. Bach