[Xastir] torrents and xastir

James Ewen jewen at shaw.ca
Fri Aug 1 20:31:10 EDT 2008

On Fri, Aug 1, 2008 at 8:10 AM, Curt, WE7U <archer at eskimo.com> wrote:

>   I guess once two people have it and are seeding it
>   changes things, but that initial first download would take forever.

Just a minor point, but it is a significant reason why torrents work so well...

If you have one seeder (has the whole file), and one leecher (wants
the whole file), then that download will take a while. However, if you
have 2 leechers, they could possibly get the file as fast as a single
leecher. Once leecher #1 gets a segment from the seeder, leecher #2
can request that segment from leecher #1. As soon as anyone in the
torrent has a segment, they can start sharing it with others in the
torrent. You don't need to have the whole file before you can start
adding to the transfer capability.

I have been in a torrent with no seeders, sharing a file for a couple
weeks, slowly getting more bits and pieces as people came and went. It
took a while, but when I finally got all the segments, I was able to
seed that file.

So, even if you don't have all the pieces, you are still contributing
to the cause, by uploading segments that you do have to the others in
the torrent that are in need of them. It's possible to be in a
torrent, and download a whole file without ever getting a segment from
a seeder.

It's really a good way to share content, but only if people
leechingmake sure they don't shut down their upload capabilities.

James
VE6SRV