[Xastir] torrents and xastir

Curt, WE7U archer at eskimo.com
Fri Aug 1 21:58:56 EDT 2008

On Fri, 1 Aug 2008, James Ewen wrote:

> If you have one seeder (has the whole file), and one leecher (wants
> the whole file), then that download will take a while. However, if you
> have 2 leechers, they could possibly get the file as fast as a single
> leecher. Once leecher #1 gets a segment from the seeder, leecher #2
> can request that segment from leecher #1. As soon as anyone in the
> torrent has a segment, they can start sharing it with others in the
> torrent. You don't need to have the whole file before you can start
> adding to the transfer capability.

So...  1000 people could get a file from one seeder at the same
speed as one person could, assuming enough extra links and bandwidth
among the 1000 people.  That's just freaky.  Cool, but freaky.
Somebody's breaking some speed laws or some physics laws somewhere,
hi hi.

> So, even if you don't have all the pieces, you are still contributing
> to the cause, by uploading segments that you do have to the others in
> the torrent that are in need of them. It's possible to be in a
> torrent, and download a whole file without ever getting a segment from
> a seeder.

That's very cool.

> It's really a good way to share content, but only if people
> leechingmake sure they don't shut down their upload capabilities.

Roger.  I'm at 1.1 on my sharing of the most current file now.  I've
never been a seeder before, so that's a big event for me.  Your
latest image appears to be getting a workout.

--
Curt, WE7U.				archer at eskimo dot com
http://www.eskimo.com/~archer