[Xastir] Dialog window sizes?

Curt, WE7U archer at eskimo.com
Fri Aug 8 13:28:20 EDT 2008

On Fri, 8 Aug 2008, Dexter N Muir wrote:

>   Yep - earlier openMotif (2.23 from Mandriva 2007.1) did the trick.
> Those windows come up full-window now - much more sightly and
> convenient.
>   Now do we suss out why? so newbies like me don't suffer the same
> fate?  Amend sources to account for differences, or wiki to point to
> workable sources?

We've been suffering from problems with IM (somewhat more), GM
(somewhat less), Motif, and Lesstif for some time, with a few
problems here and there with wget and libcurl.  Sometimes a few
other libs but probably not enough to worry about.

When I think about external libs now I mostly think of problems
instead of solutions.

I've been interested for some time in dumping some of our libraries
and finding alternatives, but not interested enough yet to actually
start doing it.

*) IM/GM might be replaced for our purposes with some package that
could do GIF/JPG/PNG, was in source form, and was GPL'ed.  We could
add it to our package like we did the Shapelib package.

Tom will probably break in here and suggest that we not add things
to our sources like this, but really we've had so much trouble with
IM/GM that I'm suggesting that replacing them with a known working
subset is a good thing.  It'd solve a major problem that we have had
for years:  Unstable image libraries.  There's quite a bit of image
processing code in Xastir so this would take a while to do.

*) I've had some trouble with non-working wget in the past, and very
occasionally with libcurl.  Our code is already isolated pretty well
here so that we could find a package that did ftp/http fetches and
integrate it into our code easily.  That would solve another problem
and would be easy/fast to do.

*) The last problem is the OpenMotif/Lesstif thing.  These libraries
are rapidly aging now, everyone else having moved on to the Qtu
and/or Gtk+ libraries.  Switching our GUI over to one (or both?) of
these would be a more major task, as there's GUI code through most
of our source files.

If we added image processing and ftp/http fetching code to our
sources, every compile would be capable from then on of working with
internet maps and local raster or vector (Shapelib) images.  If we
then went the extra step of getting rid of Motif, we'd potentially
be able to compile on more platforms, with a lot of work, and would
bypass some of the widget problems we have fairly often now.

--
Curt, WE7U.				archer at eskimo dot com
http://www.eskimo.com/~archer