[Xastir] Maps

James Ewen jewen at shaw.ca
Tue Feb 12 21:13:06 EST 2008

On Feb 12, 2008 9:26 AM, Curt, WE7U <archer at eskimo.com> wrote:

> > Anyone know where I can get Canadian maps comparable to tiger maps?

>    http://wiki.ampr2.net/nwaprs/XastirMaps
>
> Search there.  There are Shapefile maps for Canada with the streets,
> I think downloadable a province at a time.

Look for geobase.ca, they have the NRN (National Road Network)
available there, which will give you all the roads in the area you are
interested in. I haven't checked to see how far along they are yet,
some areas in Canada were not completed last time I looked. You will
have to search elsewhere to find information such as provincial
borders. I still have not found any decent hydrology shapefiles, nor
populated area shapefiles available for free.

> There are also topo maps for Canada.  We have scripts in the
> xastir/scripts directory for downloading these.  Warning:  They're
> big!

Toporama maps are not too bad. They aren't great, but they are better
than looking at a white screen. The script for downloading the
toporama tiles is written to grab all of Canada. This is a HUGE
download, especially if you are only interested in New Brunswick. I
don't bother with the Xastir script, but rather select the area I want
tiles for using RadioMobile, and ask it to download the 250k and 50k
tiles for the area. I then modified the Xastir script to skip
downloading the tiles, but still create the index files for the tiles
that I do have already downloaded.

James
VE6SRV