[Xastir] Xastir on Mac OS X 10.5. Leopard

Ernst Niggli eniggli at gmail.com
Mon Feb 18 16:15:07 EST 2008

Dear all,

so, I finally managed the transition from the ride on the Tiger
(10.4.) to the Leopard, had
a whole week-end available for the adventure.

There were a few problems along the way which I want to share with those
who intend to do the same.

1) I did the Leopard installation on an external disk, just for testing.

2) After initial installation I updated to 10.5.2. and graphics update
via Software Update
   control panel (needs to run twice)

3) Installed Dev System and X11 from DVD, then the most recent version
(X11 2.1.4. from
    http://trac.macosforge.org/projects/xquartz )

4) Tried to install Xastir 1.9.3. (4. Feb. 2008)

BOOOOOOOOOOM!!!!!!!

5) At ./configure stage got the following error: "configure:
     error: *** Cannot find X11 libraries:  Please Install X-Windows ***

6) Found solution on the web:
      ./configure LDFLAGS=-L/usr/X11/lib
7) from then on everything went like a charm, Xastir is running again!
If you try the same, good luck!
Best 73

Ernst HB9PVI

PS:
A note on 2 other less frequent problems which came up after going to
Leopard, but are not related to Xastir:

- Bluetooth devices no longer recognized by MacBook Pro: resetting
PRAM did not help, however, resetting the power management on my
MacBook Pro did the job! Bluetooth toys are back in action.

- iPod Touch was no longer seen by iTunes: re-installing iTunes did
the job.