[Xastir] Re: Xastir Digest, Vol 31, Issue 15

Richard Polivka r.polivka at sbcglobal.net
Mon Feb 18 16:12:46 EST 2008

Here is the location for all of the current NEXRAD sites processed into .geo files, ready to use.

http://www.townisp.com/~k1kwp/NWS_Ridge_geos.tar.gz

73 from 807,

Richard, N6NKO

tom.white at gmail.com wrote: On Feb 18, 2008 11:00 AM,  wrote:

> Date: Sun, 17 Feb 2008 20:16:57 -0600
> From: "Bennett, Joe"
> Subject: Re: [Xastir] NWS maps and geo files
>
> I have a somewhat related question that I have not been able to find the
> answer to to date... I have similar .geo files for the NWS radar images
> that I received from another ham quite some time ago... I would like to
> add another radar, have the URL, but not sure how to identify the tie
> points... Any idea where to get that data?

You can get the data from several sources, but the NWS provides it in a GFW
format like on this page:

http://www.srh.noaa.gov/ridge/RadarImg/N0Z/

I have a blog entry about doing this, but it was written some time ago. It
is still valid, as far as I can tell, but some of the map data it points to
is missing. It also includes the script that generates the GEO file Scott
(N4CI) was using. It generates the GEO file from a GFW file downloaded from
noaa.gov.

http://k5ehx.net/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=16&Itemid=1