[Xastir] Re: Xastir Digest, Vol 31, Issue 15

tom.white at gmail.com tom.white at gmail.com
Mon Feb 18 12:40:39 EST 2008

On Feb 18, 2008 11:00 AM, <xastir-request at xastir.org> wrote:

> Date: Sun, 17 Feb 2008 20:16:57 -0600
> From: "Bennett, Joe" <ka3nam at daminternet.biz>
> Subject: Re: [Xastir] NWS maps and geo files
>
> I have a somewhat related question that I have not been able to find the
> answer to to date... I have similar .geo files for the NWS radar images
> that I received from another ham quite some time ago... I would like to
> add another radar, have the URL, but not sure how to identify the tie
> points... Any idea where to get that data?

You can get the data from several sources, but the NWS provides it in a GFW
format like on this page:

http://www.srh.noaa.gov/ridge/RadarImg/N0Z/

I have a blog entry about doing this, but it was written some time ago. It
is still valid, as far as I can tell, but some of the map data it points to
is missing. It also includes the script that generates the GEO file Scott
(N4CI) was using. It generates the GEO file from a GFW file downloaded from
noaa.gov.

http://k5ehx.net/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=16&Itemid=1