[Xastir] Xastir on Mac OS X 10.5. Leopard

Chip Griffin n1mie at mac.com
Mon Feb 18 21:04:49 EST 2008

On Feb 18, 2008, at 16:15, Ernst Niggli wrote:

> 4) Tried to install Xastir 1.9.3. (4. Feb. 2008)
>
> BOOOOOOOOOOM!!!!!!!
>
> 5) At ./configure stage got the following error: "configure:
>     error: *** Cannot find X11 libraries:  Please Install X-Windows
> ***

I've been working on an installation document specific to Mac
(especially for Fink, which I use for package management). I recently
did some tweaks to it when I went through what you just went through.
I also have a shell script I use for updating to the latest CVS and
building/installing it and a second shell script for replacing the
dbfawk files which get clobbered every time I do an update.

-- Chip
new email: n1mie at ct.metrocast.net

Here are the installation notes. Someday perhaps they'll get
integrated into the existing docs.

> Installing Xastir on a Mac: (use in concert with the INSTALL doc
> file which has more detail I don't wish to reproduce here)
> 	by Chip (N1MIE) n1mie at arrl.net
>
>  1. Install a Motif package (openmotif or lesstif can be installed
> via Fink) [I found openmotif caused problems on my system (odd menu
> issues), so I removed and installed lesstif which worked great. You
> may also need to try it both ways.]
>
>  2. Ensure an entry similar to the below is in your '.bashrc' or
> '.bash_profile' file:
> 	LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/local/lib:/usr/lib:/usr/X11R6/lib
>
> *3. Install libproj (can be installed as 'proj' via Fink)
> 	Install/update libtiff (can be installed via Fink)
> 	Install libgeotiff
> 		download and uncompress file (http://www.remotesensing.org/
> geotiff/geotiff.html)
> 		"./configure" or "./configure --prefix=/sw" (second places files
> same place as Fink)
> 		"sudo make"
> 		"sudo make install"
>
> *4. Install ShapeLib
> 		download and uncompress file (http://shapelib.maptools.org)
> 		"cc -c shpopen.c"
> 		"cc -c shptree.c"
> 		"cc -c dbfopen.c"
> 		"ar cru libshp.a shpopen.o shptree.o dbfopen.o"
> 		"sudo cp libshp.a /sw/lib"
> 		"sudo ranlib /sw/lib/libshp.a"
> 		"sudo mkdir /sw/include/libshp"
> 		"sudo cp shapefil.h /sw/include/libshp/"
>
> *5. Install ImageMagick (can be installed via Fink) [I had problems
> when I used a pre-6.2 version]
>
> *6. Install wget or curl (normally already present on OS X Macs)
>
> *7. Install gpsman and gpsmanshp (I haven't tried this) [Not
> available via Fink]
>
> *8. Install Festival (I haven't tried this)
>
> *9. Install GDAL (can be installed via Fink, must be done manually
> on Intel Macs unless you enable Fink unstable tree)
> 		download and uncompress file (http://remotesensing.org/gdal/)
> 		"./configure --prefix=/sw --with-local=/sw/lib --with-
> gif=internal --with-jpeg=internal" (may need to modify if you don't
> use Fink)
> 		"sudo make"
> 		"sudo make install"
>
> *10. Install Berkeley DataBase (can be installed via Fink)
>
>  11. Build Xastir (commands need to be executed from within
> directory where Xastir source resides)
>  		"./bootstrap.sh"
>  		"./configure --with-bdb-libdir=/sw/lib --with-bdb-incdir=/sw/
> include/db4"
>  			or "./configure --with-bdb-libdir=/sw/lib --with-bdb-incdir=/sw/
> include/db4 --prefix=/sw" (latter for use with Fink)
>  			You can type "./configure --help" to get a list of all options.
> Two other good options are "--with-rtree" and "--with-profiling".
>

> * Optional installs

Shell script (must be in the same directory as the cvs update and
executed from that directory). I usually use the following command to
activate it (saves the output to a file as well as putting on the
screen):

$ ./myupdate.sh | tee myupdate.out

> #!/bin/sh
> #	written by: Chip-N1MIE, n1mie at arrl.net
>
> #	store current directory so I can get back
> STARTDIR=$(pwd)
>
> #	this is done because I have had at least a few cases of loss of
> configuration
> echo;echo $(date)
> echo "--------------------         Backing Up Config
> --------------------";echo
> #	change the following line for the path to your preference folder
> cd ~/.xastir
> zip -our backup.zip config data gps logs tmp tracklogs
> cd $STARTDIR
>
> echo;echo $(date)
> echo "--------------------         Getting CVS Update
> --------------------";echo
> #	you can add desired switches here or put them in your .cvsrc file
> # 	uncomment the desired update line
> #cvs update -r STABLE
> #cvs update -r RELEASE
> cvs update -A
>
> echo;echo $(date)
> echo "--------------------      Executing 'bootstrap.sh'
> --------------------";echo
> ./bootstrap.sh
>
> echo;echo $(date)
> echo "-------------------- Performing Configure With Options
> --------------------";echo
> #	Edit the following line with configure options you desire
> sudo ./configure --with-bdb-libdir=/sw/lib --with-bdb-incdir=/sw/
> include/db4 --prefix=/sw --with-rtree # --with-profiling
>
> echo;echo $(date)
> echo "--------------------      Cleaning Old Make Files
> --------------------";echo
> sudo make clean
>
> echo;echo $(date)
> echo "--------------------        Compiling the Files
> --------------------";echo
> sudo make -s
>
> echo;echo $(date)
> echo "--------------------       Installing the Files
> sudo make install -s
>
> echo;echo "---------- Done ----------";echo

Second script to copy the dbfawk files back:

> #!/bin/sh
> #	written by: Chip-N1MIE, n1mie at arrl.net
>
> sudo cp ~/Desktop/tgr2shp.dbfawk /usr/local/share/xastir/config/
> sudo cp ~/Desktop/tgr2shppoly_2006.dbfawk /usr/local/share/xastir/
> config/

-- Chip