[Xastir] THD7 doesn't start; Xastir hangs

Curt, WE7U archer at eskimo.com
Wed Jan 2 01:59:41 EST 2008

On Thu, 27 Dec 2007, Jeffrey Ferland wrote:

> I've opened screen at 9600 baud and manually confirmed that the radio
> is responding to commands.
> I'm operating OS X with hand-compiled Xastir.
> Port is set for 9600 baud, style 8N1, setup filename tnc-startup.thd7;
> shutdown file tnc-stop.thd7.
>
> When starting the interface, Xastir locks up with no apparent
> information available to assist in fixing the problem. It responds
> (slowly) to CTRL+C. The radio never switches TNC modes after pressing
> startup. The radio is configured as a Serial TNC (not with GPS... I
> don't have it attached).

Is this using a USB->Serial adapter cable?  It might be a problem
with permissions for the port.

Try doing "chmod 666" on the port (as root) and then starting up
Xastir again to see if it can access it.

I've had lockups with USB serial adapters on Linux w/Xastir.

Have also had to figure out permissions for USB joysticks, as my
kids and I have had a BZFlag tournament of sorts going for the last
week and a half and I had to acquire a couple more joysticks in
order for everyone to compete fairly.  If anyone needs help getting
their Christmas USB joysticks working with Linux, let me know...