[Xastir] XASTIR 1.92 and VL 5.9 Standard

Curt, WE7U archer at eskimo.com
Wed Jan 2 02:25:58 EST 2008

On Mon, 31 Dec 2007, Lee Bengston wrote:

> VectorLinux (VL) is Slackware based and is very lightweight - great for
> older machines.  I'm running it at home now on a PII-366 laptop and a
> PIII-800 desktop.

I used to run a PentiumPro 200MHz as my main desktop, which required
me to periodically run the Xastir sources through a profiler (once
or twice a year) to make sure it ran efficiently.  I'm sorry to say
that I no longer have such a slow machine (hi hi) so my desire to
profile/patch the code in this manner has greatly reduced.

We did have one user pop in from time to time and tell us whether
Xatir still ran on his 486 laptop.  Last I heard it still would.

> I don't remember what the typical issues have been when Lesstif is used
> instead of openMotif - if anyone has suggestions on what to watch out for, I
> would appreciate any input.

Sliders (Timing dialog and Fetch Findu Tracks dialog) with no
labels.  Send Message:  Clicking on the HamHUD/D700/D7 toggles
causes problems.  Other problems with missing or unreadable labels.

Some of the recent Motif releases had missing labels on the sliders
as well.  I had to downgrade to an earlier version of Motif.  It's a
known Motif bug.