[Xastir] XASTIR 1.92 and VL 5.9 Standard

Lee Bengston lee.bengston at gmail.com
Fri Jan 4 22:45:45 EST 2008

On Jan 2, 2008 1:25 AM, Curt, WE7U <archer at eskimo.com> wrote:

> On Mon, 31 Dec 2007, Lee Bengston wrote:
>
> > VectorLinux (VL) is Slackware based and is very lightweight - great for
> > older machines.  I'm running it at home now on a PII-366 laptop and a
> > PIII-800 desktop.
>
> I used to run a PentiumPro 200MHz as my main desktop, which required
> me to periodically run the Xastir sources through a profiler (once
> or twice a year) to make sure it ran efficiently.  I'm sorry to say
> that I no longer have such a slow machine (hi hi) so my desire to
> profile/patch the code in this manner has greatly reduced.
>
> We did have one user pop in from time to time and tell us whether
> Xatir still ran on his 486 laptop.  Last I heard it still would.

Ha, I remember building a Pentium Pro-200 once for a friend - at that time
the CPU chip alone cost somewhere around a thousand dollars.  My main
desktop has pleny of horsepower, but it's been fun to breath new life into
some older machines with a distro like VL.

> > I don't remember what the typical issues have been when Lesstif is used
> > instead of openMotif - if anyone has suggestions on what to watch out
> for, I
> > would appreciate any input.
>
> Sliders (Timing dialog and Fetch Findu Tracks dialog) with no
> labels.  Send Message:  Clicking on the HamHUD/D700/D7 toggles
> causes problems.  Other problems with missing or unreadable labels.

So far I have found some menu labels that look garbled - nothing major -
just minor annoyances.  The timing dialogue and Fetch Findu Tracks dialog
are fine - I think it's just the openMotif bug that affects those.  I'm
going to see if I can find a way to get openMotif 2.23 or 2.24 installed in
VectorLinux.  If not, the PIII-800 desktop should still run OK with Xubuntu,
so that's an option.

Regards,

Lee - K5DAT
Murphy, TX