[Xastir] Re: Xastir and Vantage Pro2

Robert Grattan bgrattan at umw.edu
Wed Jan 2 09:37:36 EST 2008

Thanks for the reply, Mike.  Your setup sounds like the way to go until someone (much more talented than I) comes up with a more direct way to get VP2 data into Xastir.  I was thinking that this would work since the data logger can be connected directly to a tnc; however, I guess, in the Davis instructions, they are counting on the Win-based software to do the polling.

I wonder if anyone else out there has a different setup using Xastir/wview/Vantage Pro2 ?

Happy New Year to all!

Bob  (N4MRV)

>>> "Mike Long (N3QD)" <n3qd06 at gmail.com> 02-Jan-08 01:02 >>>
Bob,

	Sorry for taking so long to get back to you.  We've had company
through the holidays and I have not had a lot of time to play ham radio.

	The problem with the Davis is that it does not stream from the data
port.  It needs to be polled.  If you want to stream WX directly to
Xastir, Meteo is the only way to do it.  I too found Meteo too
complex, and I've come up with a rather clunky solution.  I am using
WView which is much easier to set up, but it does not interface with
Xastir in any way.  It does, however, send APRS WX to the APRS-IS
through the CWOP program.  So, I configured WView to send my WX to
CWOP, and Xastir to gate my WX packets from the internet port to RF.
That way my WX shows up on Findu and on my local RF APRS network.

73,
Mike (N3QD)