[Xastir] Re: Linux Joystick Tweaks (off topic? ;-)

Jason KG4WSV kg4wsv at gmail.com
Tue Jan 8 12:02:05 EST 2008

On Jan 8, 2008 10:40 AM, Curt, WE7U <archer at eskimo.com> wrote:

> Looks like I need to learn a bit more.  The new file doesn't appear
> to be taking effect.  I need to play some more to see what's not
> working.
>
> I tried just creating a 2-line file that had the pieces from the 50*
> file that I needed.  Didn't work.  There might have been some
> substitutions going on in the file that I missed by doing it this
> way.
>
> Later I just copied the entire 50* file to 51-joystick-we7u.rules
> and changed permissions on two lines.  Didn't work.

Try making your file 11-joystick or even 00-josystick?  The udev man page
says "All rule files are read in lexical order."   Maybe something in the
50- file is matching before it reads your 51- file?

I used 11- (arbitrary, don't remember why now, probably because the example
I googled did so) and it works fine on the disk drives I manage with it.

And this is a lot less off-topic than you may think: one can use serial
numbers or device paths for usb-serial adapters in a udev rule, so that a
particular device can show up as /dev/gps0 or /dev/tnc14439.  It makes
things a lot easier when setting up xastir devices.

-Jason
kg4wsv