[Xastir] Re: Linux Joystick Tweaks (off topic? ;-)

Curt, WE7U archer at eskimo.com
Tue Jan 8 11:40:04 EST 2008

On Mon, 7 Jan 2008, Jeremy Utley wrote:

> > I created a "51-joystick-we7u.rules" file on each system with only
> > two lines in it.  There was already a file in there starting with
> > "51-", but it doesn't matter as long as I don't have a name clash.
>
> Glad to hear that it helped out!  Learning the udev stuff was kind of
> hard - I played with it long before most distributions were actually
> using it, and it was tricky at that time, since there wasn't a lot of
> documentation about it.

Looks like I need to learn a bit more.  The new file doesn't appear
to be taking effect.  I need to play some more to see what's not
working.

I tried just creating a 2-line file that had the pieces from the 50*
file that I needed.  Didn't work.  There might have been some
substitutions going on in the file that I missed by doing it this
way.

Later I just copied the entire 50* file to 51-joystick-we7u.rules
and changed permissions on two lines.  Didn't work.

So... I went back to editing the 50* file directly, but creating a
backup copy of it for use if/when the file gets wiped out again.

Perhaps I'll do some testing later and figure out the minimal mods
that do work and don't get in the way of upgrades.  If anyone has
already gone through this and has the tweaks, save everybody else
some time and post the findings please.  Thanks!