[Xastir] I have my serial port turned off again....

Jeremy Utley jerutley at gmail.com
Wed Jan 2 12:42:03 EST 2008

On Jan 2, 2008 12:53 AM, Curt, WE7U <archer at eskimo.com> wrote:
> On Sat, 22 Dec 2007, Jim Tolbert wrote:
>
> > Xastir (and GPSMan) can not read or write to the serial port in spite of
> > running
> >
> > chmod 777 /dev/ttyS0
> >
> > I usually have done this as a su before starting Xastir, but now it
> > don't do the trick.   In the terminal, I don't get any errors with the
> > chmod command.
>
> "chmod 666" is actually what you want, but 777 should work in this
> case as well.
>
> I just went through getting some USB joysticks working on Linux, and
> figured out the "right" way to do it so that the permissions get set
> each time I reboot.
>
> It's in "/etc/udev/rules.d/50-udev-default.rules".  I changed this
> section:
>
>   # input devices
>   #KERNEL=="mouse*|mice|event*",  NAME="input/%k", MODE="0640"
>   KERNEL=="mouse*|mice",      NAME="input/%k", MODE="0640"
>   KERNEL=="event*",       NAME="input/%k", MODE="0666"
>   #
>   #KERNEL=="js*",         NAME="input/%k", MODE="0644"
>   KERNEL=="js*",          NAME="input/%k", MODE="0666"

It probably should not be done this way - by doing this, if your
distribution provides any form of update to the udev package, your
changes will be overwritten.  You should probably create a new file -
something like 51-custom-joystick.rules - and have it contain these
lines.  It will then override anything in previous files.

Jeremy, NW7JU