[Xastir] Setting Station Symbol problems

Dale Seaburg kg5lt at verizon.net
Sat Jan 12 16:39:13 EST 2008

Hi,

I'm new to the list, but older than dirty to APRS...  ;-)  I helped
Steve, KA5MVA with the HamHUD software maintenance for several years,
giving him a break for a while.  I like to tinker - some would say
I'm not very radio-active - that's true, in that I don't do much
voice comms.  Digital is more to my liking.  That's one reason why I
program for a living.

Now, on to my problem:

I first installed the VMware xastir version, but had problems with
inconsistent map drawing (no maps would be a more accurate
description).  I'm pretty sure it has to do with DNS issues and NAT.
I can open a browser and about every fifth time or so, I can manage
to get a web page to not gripe about not finding the server in VMware.

Because my desktop also has a dual-boot to Ubuntu 7.10, I decided to
install Xastir on it.  I followed the excellent instructions through
the minimalist install to the typical install.  It seems that all
went well.  I can bring up Xastir OK, and the maps work correctly,
and superbly, I might add.

However, when I set up my station default values, I can't seem to set
the primary symbol to a house - it defaults to the secondary symbol
of a tornado.  Now, some may say that is appropriate once they see my
shop!  hi hi.  I did not have this problem when in the VMware version.

What have I done wrong to cause the symbol setting to not work?

73 - Dale  KG5LT