[Xastir] Setting Station Symbol problems

Curt, WE7U archer at eskimo.com
Tue Jan 15 12:47:00 EST 2008

On Sat, 12 Jan 2008, Dale Seaburg wrote:

> However, when I set up my station default values, I can't seem to set
> the primary symbol to a house - it defaults to the secondary symbol
> of a tornado.  Now, some may say that is appropriate once they see my
> shop!  hi hi.  I did not have this problem when in the VMware version.

Are you setting the symbol via the buttons or by typing in the
characters?

> What have I done wrong to cause the symbol setting to not work?

Best guess is that you have your LANG setting in your environment
set to something other than "en_US" or 'C'.  In more recent Linux
distributions they have been converting over to using UTFblah-blah
instead.  The C libraries change how they do things based on the
LANG variable, so some of the input/output routines for reading
files get messed up, including the ones we use for reading/writing
the Xastir config file.

This is what I do when I start Xastir:

    export LANG=C
    xastir -geometry -0-0 &

The first sets the LANG variable and make sure that this shell and
all subshells will get the setting.  The second just starts Xastir
in the background at the same size it was at when I shut it down,
and at the bottom right corner of my screen.