[Xastir] Setting Station Symbol problems

Dale Seaburg kg5lt at verizon.net
Tue Jan 15 20:10:37 EST 2008

Thanks for the reply, Curt.

On Jan 15, 2008, at 11:47 AM, Curt, WE7U wrote:

> On Sat, 12 Jan 2008, Dale Seaburg wrote:
>
>> However, when I set up my station default values, I can't seem to set
>> the primary symbol to a house - it defaults to the secondary symbol
>> of a tornado.  Now, some may say that is appropriate once they see my
>> shop!  hi hi.  I did not have this problem when in the VMware
>> version.
>
> Are you setting the symbol via the buttons or by typing in the
> characters?

As I recall, I was trying to use the symbol buttons.  Also, I think I
tried to enter something in the box, but I don't think it let me.
Just for grins, I will try what you pointed out later in your reply
about the LANG setting.  I'll let the list know what I find out.
Well, that was quick.  The "export LANF=C" took care of the Symbol
select problem.  Thanks!

What I have done in the meantime is go back to the VMware version.
To get around the lazy DNS lookup issues, I open up a copy of FireFox
an bring up my home page, followed by a couple of reloads.  When I do
that it's as if a "channel" is opened that tigermaps can use to get
data - magically, the DNS comes alive.  Strange.  Occasionally, even
FireFox will hang on a lazy DNS.  I have to do a reload sometimes
several times before FireFox "finds" the server.

However, even after fixing the LANG=C issue, I have to spend most of
my time in the (un)Real World - Microstupid's XP pro, so VMware will
probably have to suffice for now.  I have started a new business and
I have written my project in C#.  Too bad I don't have the time right
now to convert to Java.  Then, I could make the switch to Linux.  Oh
well, I digress and drift off-topic.  I think I will set the LANG in
my .bashrc so it's automatic.  Boy, I've been away from Linux for way
too long.

Thanks again, Curt for the help.

73 - Dale.  KG5LT