[Xastir] new Qt license and xastir v2

Brad Douglas rez at touchofmadness.com
Sat Jan 19 17:36:37 EST 2008

On Sat, 2008-01-19 at 11:44 -0600, Jason KG4WSV wrote:
> http://slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=08/01/19/0130250&from=rss
>
> I recall in the occasional xastir version 2 discussion, one of the issues is
> cross-platform portability.  Qt is a contender, but there were serious
> concerns about the Qt license and how it fit with xastir's license.
>
> Now, it seems, Trolltech has switched to GPL v3 for Qt.  How does that
> change things?

I have an aversion to Qt because of past licensing antics.  There's
nothing that says they won't go back to them in the future, locking
developers into a particular version.

I would highly recommend using a wxPython GUI approach.  This also
avoids the Qt/GTK flame wars.

The final say, of course, is up to the developers to use what is
easiest/most familiar to them.

--
73, de Brad KB8UYR/6 <rez touchofmadness com>