[Xastir] Xastir and Ultimeter weather station

Curt, WE7U archer at eskimo.com
Tue Jan 22 12:00:55 EST 2008

On Sat, 19 Jan 2008, Steve Jones wrote:

> I'm also worried about Xastir being tied down with a constant stream
> of traffic from the internet as well as a weather station.  I guess
> I'll have to see how badly it lags when I start feeding it the stream
> using GPSGate.

Shouldn't be a problem unless you're running a 486 or less.  I've
had in the neighborhood of 40,000 stations on my screen from a full
Firenet feed plus local RF plus weather alerts all going on and it
didn't bog down.

Every once in a while I run the code through a profiler to find out
where the slow bits are, then optimize the code.  That's done
wonders for how efficient it is.

> Another solution is to see what's involved in adding the code in
> myself.  Could be an interesting project.

You bet!  Let us know if you need any help understanding the code,
or where to add things in.  I'd be glad to look at any patches you
come up with.