[Xastir] geotiff includes on Ubuntu 8.03

Tom Russo russo at bogodyn.org
Sat Jul 5 14:30:07 EDT 2008

On Sat, Jul 05, 2008 at 02:31:57PM -0400, we recorded a bogon-computron collision of the <dick.repasky at gmail.com> flavor, containing:

> Thanks, Richard. Setting the environment variable worked fine for me
> after it did it correctly, as Tom pointed out.

The other way to do it is to specify CPPFLAGS as a configure argument rather
than as an exported environment variable:

  ../xastir/configure CPPFLAGS="-I/usr/include/geotiff"

(I never do configure in the same directory as the source, so you'll never
see "./configure" in my instructions.  It is cleaner to use an empty build
directory instead.)

Doing the configure with CPPFLAGS as one if its command line arguments this
way has one advantage --- the CPPFLAGS setting will wind up appearing in the
initial comments of config.log.  You can then always just look in that file
six months after you last configured the code just to remember everything you
had to do last time.

If you do it with exported environment variables, that information isn't
preserved in config.log.