[Xastir] geotiff includes on Ubuntu 8.03

Tom Russo russo at bogodyn.org
Sat Jul 5 15:12:20 EDT 2008

On Sat, Jul 05, 2008 at 12:02:07PM -0700, we recorded a bogon-computron collision of the <archer at eskimo.com> flavor, containing:
> On Sat, 5 Jul 2008, Tom Russo wrote:
>
> > Adding configure command line options is always necessary to deal with
> > nonstandard installs.  Peppering the configure script with tricks to look
> > everywhere that might have the desired files is unmaintainable and often
> > breaks.  Look at the mess we have for BDB --- it tries all manner of crazy
> > things to find db headers, and often screws up, all because no two installs
> > of BDB seem to be consistent.
>
> Rgr.  BDB:  Another of nemesis of ours, and of other projects!
>
> If the /usr/include/geotiff/ directory becomes commonplace later I'd
> advocate adding it to our autoconf scripts.

But at this point it isn't --- geotiff's install doesn't do that itself, the
Ubuntu package maintainer must have decided to isolate the headers for
some reason, and just did it.

A note to the maintainer might be in order.  Some packages do that, but it
is not the norm.  I'm not sure that many packages that use libgeotiff are going
to expect its headers to be in nonstandard locations.

 "It's so simple to be wise: just think of something stupid to say and
  then don't say it."  --- Sam Levinson